Thursday, August 26, 2010

I LOVE MY KINDLE!

When my brother came to visit 4 months ago, I asked him to bring a few things with him. One of these things was an Amazon.com Kindle. For those of you who may not be in the know, the Kindle is an eBook reader. I know, doesn't sound very exciting, does it? Well... I beg to differ.

The Amazon Kindle is to literature what the iPod is to Music. Imagine walking around with your entire library of books in your pocket. It is now possible. The version of the Kindle I have, has almost 2 gigs of storage space... thats a lot of books. One book utilizes on average  125k of disk space... so thats... 2 gigs / 125 k = THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of books.

You can put your own files on the Kindle. It reads PDFs, .txt files, and a few other less known formats. So any books that you "find" on the internet you can just slide onto your kindle.  It also has a web browser that works using the cellular telephone networks, so you are never stuck, you can always  go online and buy a new book directly from your Kindle and *BOOM* you are reading.  Another fun aspect, is that you can also read blogs, mangazines and send emails directly from your Kindle.

My kindle has dramatically improved my quality of life. I always have something read! When there is a power outtage, or an internet outtage, or just plain nothing to do, my Kindle currently has about 25 books, on it. Most of them I  have purchased on amazon.com in their Kindle store. Some others I have "found" online, and there is also a plethora of books available on Google Books that you can put on your Kindle, FOR FREE! I love that kind of pricing.

You can also download audio books from Audible.com and put them on your Kindle, because the Kindle is 100% compatible with their audiobook format. A feature I discovered, that I find quite remarkable, is the text reader. There is an option to have the kindle read the text to you! I found this function particularly useful when I am trying to edit my novel... yup... my novel.

Another use for the Kindle, editing my work. As some of you may know, I am finally writting my novel. Actually, two novels, as I just begun writting a second one. The kindle has become an important part of my writting process. As I finish each chapter, I move it to the kindle and have the Kindle read back to me my work. All typos and a lot of syntax problems stick out real quick when the Kindle reader says "afdsjkdfadf".

Ever dreamed of publishing your own work?  Well, know you can. The kindle, and other ebook readers, has made self-publishing possible. Sell your own ebooks for the kindle and other formats.  I know... Pretty amazing right?

Anyhoo.. Here is the list of Books Currently on my Kindle (all of which are read, except the book i Started yesturday, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson).


  1. Mama Dearest - E. Lynn Harris (Fiction)
  2. Basketball Jones - E. Lynn Harris (Gay Fiction)
  3. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Yoga - Joan Budilovsky (yoga)
  4. Learning PHP 5 - David Sklar (Computer Science)
  5. Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris (Humour)
  6. Peanut Butter Kisses - Pepper Espinoza (Gay fiction)
  7. The Big Leap - Gay Hendricks (this book sucks)
  8. Bottled Up - Andrew Grey (Gay Fiction)
  9. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (fiction)
  10. The Celestine Prophecy - James Redfield (New Age)
  11. The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown (Fiction)
  12. Boys of Africa - Gabriel Robichaud - (Gay Fiction - Unpublished)
  13. Les faces du Burkina (Temporary Title) - Gabriel Robichaud (Fiction - Unpublished)
  14. Bennington's Place - Gabriel Garçonnière (Gay Fiction)
  15. Way of the Peaceful Warrior - Dan Millman (New Age)
  16. The Sookie Stack House Novels - Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Haris (Vampire Fiction)
  17. The Sookie Stack House Novels - Living Dead in Dallas - Charlaine Haris (Vampire Fiction)
  18. The Sookie Stack House Novels - Club Dead - Charlaine Haris (Vampire Fiction)
  19. The Sookie Stack House Novels - Dead to the World - Charlaine Haris (Vampire Fiction)
  20. The Sookie Stack House Novels - Dead as a Doornail - Charlaine Haris (Vampire Fiction)
  21. The Sookie Stack House Novels - Definaitely Dead - Charlaine Haris (Vampire Fiction)
  22. The Sookie Stack House Novels - All Together Dead - Charlaine Haris (Vampire Fiction)
  23. The Sookie Stack House Novels - From Dead to Worse - Charlaine Haris (Vampire Fiction)
  24. The Sookie Stack House Novels - Dead And Gone - Charlaine Haris (Vampire Fiction)
So thats it for now, I just had to talk about the Kindle. The most awesome thing to come around since the iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment