Wednesday, July 14, 2010

185 Days In Burkina. But Who's Counting?

Lately? Me!

So, its been six months since I first arrived. Time is one of those things that I am constantly obsessing about. Anniversaries, dates and milestones are all measures of progress or success in my books. At this point in time, I am brought to much reflection about what I am doing here, what I am missing back home and questioning what the future will bring.

There are days where it is really easy to be here. And then there are others when I wish I was anywhere else. For example when my sister told me she found out she was pregnant. Well, that was something I would have much rather have experienced in person than via an MSN chat window. Its kinda hard to convey your excitement with an emoticon :).

And then there are moments when I am truly grateful for the experience. For example, yesterday on my little walk around the neighborhood, I passed some people who were cooking something on a fire next to my house. Being a curious individual, I had to come take a peek at what all the to-do was about! Well, much to my surprise, and chagrin, there was a dog head roasting on the fire. I later learned that eating a dog's head will make one immune to any hex cast upon one by a sorcerer. Who knew?

So after six months, what have I learned?
  1. I am much more patient than any of you might think.
  2. I can eat rice every day and live to tell the tale.
  3. Chicken tastes better here. It just does.
  4. Rice is a luxury not afforded by many.
  5. I hate mice.
  6. Mice run really fast when you chase after them with a broom.
  7. People are what matters most.
  8. I hate insects, bugs, and creepy crawlies almost as much as I hate mice.
  9. Some white people are very strange and behave in ways that embarrass me when they leave their own countries.
  10. I really love Montréal.
Yeah, that last point has really been hitting home lately. I don't know if its because I have more free time on my hands of late, but Montréal has been on my mind. It is summer now, and there is no city like Montreal in the summer. All the happenings, festivals, parties, BBQ, Pot-Lucks, brunches, parades... *sigh* The parades here are not quite the same.

So, six months into my little experiment, and I am still extremely happy that I made the decision to come here. I really am. But man oh man, it is not easy. I long to sit at the Rapido with Camille, Marie and Nicholas for brunch and just talk about boys, life and complain about stuff that right now, seems pretty trivial.

Oh yeah. Jerry is dead.

Turns out there were two Jerrys. We found one behind the fridge and one in the bathroom. Both dead. And surprisingly enough, it is possible to feel guilt for having poisoned two mice.

 

1 comment:

  1. OMG Jerry 1 & 2 are dead!!! How could ya, they were in Luv!!! You big meanie!!! Start cooking some dog heads... I'm hExing you tonight (like Austin Powers you will lose your MOJO.... no mor booty calls 4 ya! Mouhahahahah)! LOL

    ReplyDelete